Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's Here!!!

The time has come for us to take our two week road-trip vacation! We head out tomorrow night around bedtime ... destination - everywhere that has been hit by Gustav or Ike (Louisiana/Texas/Arkansas). Route altered because of no power/gasoline in Texas, so we will be heading to Arkansas first. Our plans are to hang out with my family for about a week doing all the things "country folks" do... fishing, swinging on the front porch, catch lightening bug, riding 4-wheelers, etc. After that much needed break from reality, we will head South to my old "home town"Ama. Do a little visiting there (this is still a very tough one for me... Mom said "it's terrible there and that I should not return home anytime soon." My house looks so bad that even she was upset by it.) Going to head to Denham Springs to my BFF Phoebe's house. Hopefully, she'll have time to give me a haircut while we are visiting, but that's a toss-up. Last stop in Louisiana - Cajun Country! Time to hang with the rest of my abnormal family. I miss them all so much and I hate the fact that we never get to see them. Our vacations are always to Maryland or Arkansas, so we don't get time to make it down there. It's been almost 3 years since I've seen my grandma and that is just wrong... I'm excited to see my cousin's twins, Mallory & Addison, who were born a few months after Sydney. They are the most adorable children. Sydney loves being around all the kids back home. I have tons of 2nd/3rd cousins now, thanks to my always reproducing relatives. I'm glad Rick will finally be meeting my Uncle Tommy - he's been away from the family for a long time and has recently returned. Plus this is another opportunity for him to be exposed to my other uncles that are just down right nuts, not clinically. I love the both dearly, but they are just not right! Rick gets fabulous stories to tell his squad because of it. I'm hoping to take the family to see my grandfather (Daddy's dad). Since my grandmother died a few years ago, he's decided to live in an assisted living place right down the street from his house. I'll take the kids to the house though, so they can play in the yard like we did as kids. My grandmother always had a beautiful yard and I'd like to get some pictures of Sydney & Ryan there. Rumor has it, Ampa is planning on selling the Hockaday house soon - better do it before that happens. After that, we head West to Texas. I have more family that live outside of Beaumont and two uncles that live in Houston. We'll probably spend some time with Nanny (aunt) and her family then just "pass through" Houston. Although, if we have some spare time, I'd love to stop and see two of my friends there. I loved living in Houston and had some really great friends there. Dale & Alyse have both started their own companies since I left and are doing wonderfully. I want my house to be done by Dale - he has flawless taste. I'm pretty sure I'd be working with Alyse now if I had stayed there. Oh well...

Then.... the long ass drive through Texas back home. We'll be home next month!!! I promise to post updates & pics along the way. Should make for some great entries.

1 comment: