Sunday, June 1, 2008

Being the Wife of One

Five years and 6 days ago, Tucson lost a fine Police Officer to violence. At 12:10 today, I got a phone call from Larry Lopez, President of TPOA (Tucson Police Officer's Association). I consider him a dear friend, not just a guy Rick works with. Almost instantly I could tell something was wrong by the tone in his voice. As he asked if Rick was still sleeping, he sounded terrified. That's when I knew - there was an officer involved shooting. Immediately I went to our room and woke Rick up... "You need to wake up and really wake up. Larry's on the phone and needs to talk to you". He shot up in bed and said "Oh shit! I'm on my way!" An officer had indeed been involved in a shooting and it didn't look good for him. As he bolted out the front door and I jumped on the internet. The articles and pictures were not good. Being a RN, I knew one thing, but the wife of a Police Officer, I prayed for something else. I could only imagine what it would feel like if it were Rick in that situation. If it was him that was getting flown to our trauma center because of the actions of some piece of shit, some selfish asshole, some walking waste of human-being. As the wife of an officer, you are used to hearing this, seeing this, going through this type of thing. I've never had a problem with his job. I've always known that there is an inherent risk he takes every night he puts on his uniform. I'm OK with those risks... it's his job. Like he always says, "they don't pay me for what I do, they pay me for what I might have to do." I'm glad he's out there taking those risk for me and the rest of the good citizens of Tucson. I've never lost sleep because of what he does. I'm not scared for him nor am I ever worried about him. I tell him "Have a good night, love you & see you in the am" every time he walks out the door. Unfortunately, there may come a day when I may get the knock on the door or the early am phone call. It's part of the package - not that I like the idea of it all, but that's the package I got when I said "yes". I pray that day never comes. Not for myself, but for our kids. I'd be OK in time, but they would have a void for the rest of their lives.

This officer, with the shattered shell of his wife at his side, being kept alive on drugs and machines until his parents and son can arrive, did nothing to deserve this. His family did not wake up this morning only to go to sleep knowing its without him in their lives. His wife didn't sign up for raising a daughter, who turns ONE on Wednesday, without a father. I'm sure his son thought he'd have a lifetime to make his father proud of his military career. This is the stuff that makes me so angry about the situation. What this piece of shit did to this family - no justice will ever make up for it! I know more information will come out over the next several days - it won't change the outcome. Regardless of what is known, it won't change the fact that a good man was gunned down in the street today leaving so many behind.

Rick got home near 5:15 this afternoon. Visible shaken, near tears and had a look of exhaustion and worry. A look that I've never seen. I think today has made him realize that this could have been him or any of his guys, and that didn't sit well. He's a very strong man, but today, he was not. Today he was one of 800+ that had a friend, a comrade, a fellow officer, taken from them in a very brutal, violent & intentionally horrific manner. He provided support to the officers on duty today and will continue to do that until he gets home from his shift, only to do it again tomorrow. He loves his job - good & bad!

He did great things for this officer's family - one of which was to get his parents here from Oregon. But, thanks to the airlines, these poor people are now stranded in Portland. The plane that was to fly them here had mechanical problems and had to be diverted. Nothing was leaving Portland after they landed. Not even to Phoenix. How terrible is that? Now they have to sit in a cold, lonely hotel over night knowing that their son is dying in an ICU room in Tucson and there is nothing they can do but cry for him. They will not make it here in time to tell him goodbye - that's a travesty!!!

The next time you see an officer, whether he's writing your speeding ticket, or passing you on the street - thank him/her. They wear the uniform for us, for our safety, for our freedoms. They wear it because they want to. Some die on our streets everyday doing a job that is always under appreciated and hated by so many. Where is the justice in that? Support your local police department in anyway you can. Let them know you care about the officer's that put on the badge and risk it all every shift.

My thanks and appreciation go out to all those officers on the street today. They are all working under extremely stressful conditions tonight. They've lost enough today...

Be safe! Be smart! Watch out for each other!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Great blog! Very heartfelt. You and I already talked about this, so I'm not going to say much here. But the police, similar to the fire dept, is truly a family. Losing your "brother" is just that...like losing someone of your own blood. Rick and his entire dept and their families are in our thoughts & prayers. I hope the POS that did this gets what he deserves.

Anonymous said...

As tears run down my face I thank God my sons are safe yet feel awful for feeling this way.Your family loves you and like you are proud and scared as hell at the same time.My prayers are with Rick and every other Police officer who are out there for us.Thank you son for what you do.
Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Haven't read this since that day, and it still floors me. I remember that entire day both very vividly, and as just a blur. It's amazing that that is even possible.

I had the poor lady from the airlines on the phone and she was in tears as she wanted to be able to get them here, but she was absolutely powerless to be able to do so.

Just for historical accuracy, they did end up making it in time, thanks to the wonderful medical attention he was receiving.