Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Finally... back to "normal"

My life is finally getting back to normal. Sydney went back to school on Monday and I'm finally going back to work in the morning. I haven't worked since the week before Christmas and my brain is dying to think. Full steam ahead and life is looking good.

On another note.... Sydney's "smarts" are really blossoming. Her teacher called the house today with some great news. Because she's considered an "independent reader", she's was tested to see how advanced her reading level is. She's a borderline second grade reader. To be exact: 1.9. What that fancy number means is she's reading where a first grader in their 9th month of the school year. She met the "Instructional Reading Level" (proficient at recognizing, reading & comprehending over 80% of the words) at 1.4. She's being placed in the "Accelerated Reader" program at school and will continue to be tested on her knowledge base. All the grades have to participate, but it is not done by the Kindergartner classes. Mrs. DeMarco will be taking her to the library this week to help her pick out more advanced books to continue challenging her. She's got no idea what all this means, just knows that she has to start reading harder books, and that honestly has her soooo excited. For only being five, she's developing an affection for books and experiencing all the joys that brings.

4 comments:

Shelley said...

Sydney truly amazes me. I was on the web cam the other day with her and I typed something to her not even thinking I was typing to someone her age. She turned to Rick and told him what I had said. She is one bright little girl who loves to have fun and is so very loving. It is great that they tested the kids and she will be kept challenged. She needs to watch out since my hugs and kisses are piling up until I see her.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

That is no surprise. She is a genius.

Amy Anderson said...

I love that she loves to read. Little smarty you have there.

Cherie said...

When Brooke was in Kindergarten, she was reading on a 2nd grade level too. But it got her into trouble being so smart because her teacher was a douchebag and didn't realize how bored she was in class and kept send notes home about her behavior. She told the teacher one day "I'm not writing those letters. I'm tired of doing it. It's for babies and I'm too old to be doing this nonsense". Then at the end of the 3rd 9 weeks, her teacher got smart and realized that she was too smart for the baby stuff and had Brooke and another lil kid work on projects while the other kids did the baby work, then they had to present the projects to the class afterwards. She never got in trouble again after that!