Friday, August 15, 2008

Day at school


Mrs. Cary (parapro)

Sydney & Sage


I went to school with Sydney on Wednesday. It was my day to volunteer in the classroom. As soon as we got there, she bolted to the playground and I went in the class to get my "assignment". Mrs. DeMarco had several to pick from . There's no surprise that there would be lots of cut/glue/tape/staple work. I was tasked with filling sheet protectors with the ABC's on one side, the child's name on the other. These were then to be placed in each kid's binder so that they could trace them at home for more practice. Project #2: sharpen a cup full on pencils. Project #3: cut out and assemble "The Five Fabulous Senses" books for each of the 50 kids she teaches. That sucked... very time consuming. Project #4: didn't get to it. My sanity was saved when I got to take groups of 5 back and forth to the nurse's office for ear/vision screening. That took about 1.5 hours. The only reason I didn't take the last group was because there was a "FD" - fire drill! How fun was that... those kids are pros! They have a "FD" each month to keep the process fresh in the kids head. They all lined up at the door very quietly, followed Mrs. DeMarco out of the room and across the parking lot. They stopped in a dirt area that backed up to some homes that are being built right next door. The school emptied in no time at all. From the time the alarm went off until the "all clear" came out, less than 5 minutes has passed. They were very quick and very efficient. I was very please and impressed at how well the faculty & staff cleared the buildings. They all marched back to class and picked up right where they left off. I couldn't believe how busy they actually are. It's non-stop learning. They even work during snack time. Coloring, writing, crafting, playing, reading, listening, etc... always doing something! I look forward to going back - it was so much fun!

Calendar/Letter Area

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Sounds like you enjoyed your "day at school". I'm sure Sydney loved that her mommy was there. It gave you a chance to see what really goes on and not just what she remembers to tell you.